Tuesday 24 January 2012

The bunny that started it all

Every child has a cuddly toy from which they are absolutely inseparable.  For my daughter, it was a little white bunny rabbit with dangly arms and legs and big floppy ears.  She took it everywhere and it just became so threadbare that I decided that my first crochet project just had to be a bunny rabbit.



After searching the web for quite some time, I finally stumbled upon a free pattern for a bunny rabbit that used just 100 grams of yarn: favecrafts.com Blue Bunny (UK crocheters beware: the site uses US terminology so any mention of single crochet is in fact referring to double crochet).  It was perfect, but it was blue so of course I had to make a few modifications and make it in pink for little madam.


The pattern called for a loop stitch tail but I thought it a little ambitious for my first project so made a puffy tail as follows:

Round 1: Ch 2, 6 dc in 2nd ch from hook  [6 sts]
Round 2: 2 dc in each st around  [12 sts]
Round 3: (dc in next st, 2 dc in next st) x6  [18 sts]
Round 4: 18 sts round
Round 5: 18 sts round
Round 6: (2 dc in next st, dc in next 2 sts) x6 [24 sts]
Round 7: 24 sts round
Round 8: 24 sts round
Round 9: (dc2tog, dc in next 6 sts) x3  [21 sts]
Round 10: (dc2tog, dc in next 5 sts) x3 [18 sts]


As you can see, Nana Bunny Rabbit (as she's now called) has had a few additions made to her since and has a heart on her bottom and a flower on her head.  Apparently she wants a Prince Rabbit to be her True Love and a Princess dress in which to get married.  Too many Disney films perhaps.....

Follow me on Facebook and see what I'm up to at the moment =) 

No comments:

Post a Comment